Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Thanks, OJ. You've become one of my biggest motivators and supporters....

So much for the "weekly blog" i said I would do A MONTH AND A HALF AGO!!!! Whoops, let that one slip by just a bit, right?  What can I say, life happens!  I hope everyone has been enjoying their late spring, now hot-as-cheese summer with family, or friends, or alone while their kids and wife are at the farm :( , like me....).  I miss them like crazy, I got to spend the weekend with them, which was awesome, and they'll be home (FINALLY!!!) most likely on Friday this week. Thanks to Skype and picture text messaging, I haven't gone completely crazy!  Well, here we go folks, it's what you came for!

So far, I've stayed in the 30-35 pounds lost range which is awesome because I've kept if off!  I'm a little frustrated that it hasn't been more, but I'm basically to blame for that.  I started playing basketball on Monday's with my little brother and other's at a local church for open gym.  Now when I say basketball, I don't mean 3-on-3 half court games.  This is 5-on-5, full court, all out ballin'! It's great to play and actually be able to run up and down the court without feeling like I'm going to have a heart attack!  However, Tuesday and most of Wednesday, I am SUPER SORE!! From the spikes in my hair to the tips of my toes, I'm hurtin'! I'm finally good by Thursday, which is softball night.  Now, I have no idea why, but running in softball is so much different than running like I do, either on the track or around my neighborhood.  My shins hurt so bad for a couple days, and again, I'm out of commission.  Usually until Monday, when the cycle starts all over again....

I know that I should be doing SOMETHING, lifting, walking, swimming, etc... I just easily talk myself out of it, because I'm so sore.  That has to stop, no pain-no gain, right?! I have to push myself to WANT to do this on 'sore' days.  I suppose part of the whole process is being able to overcome all the obstacles that get thrown your way.  I have no doubts that I'll be able to overcome this one, with great results!

If you told me back in February and March, during the NCAA tournament, that I would be playing full court basketball 4 or more games in one night in June, I would have told you that you were an idiot!  It's crazy how things work out though.  And when I say full court, I don't mean that I'm that guy only playing from 3-point line to 3-point line.  I'm running, and running, and RUNNING! It's amazing what a few months of running, and LOTS of motivation will do for you.  I have to thank my little brother OJ for this. For about a year now, he sends me text messages, telling me to get ready to play ball. I kept putting him off and putting him off, telling him I wasn't ready now, but I would be soon.  I was lying. I really had no intentions of playing. I think he knew that also, but he continued to bug me about it over and over.  Once I started working out and losing weight, OJ got a few people together to play.  Most of me, didn't want to play, I wanted no part of it.  There was a tiny part of me that did though, wanted to see how I would do. It went ok, still not quite ready to go full out, but it went well. Fast forward a couple weeks to the beginning of June.  OJ, tells me about playing in a tournament in August, with a team made up of nothing but our family members.  I think this is awesome, but I do NOT want to be that weak link that ends up costing us a game.  We started playing open gym on Monday, and it was amazing to me that I could play full-court ball, multiple games. I actually cried on my way home, after the first open gym on a Sunday.  I was so emotional that I actually did it, but more emotional because I owed it to my little brother.  He NEVER gave up on me, and even though I'm sure he knew I was putting him off, he never stopped texting me, reminding me that I used to be able to do this with no problems and I was going to do it again.  Thanks, OJ.  You've become one of my biggest motivators and supporters, and I owe a lot of this to you. Love you, bro!

I am still planning on running a 5k in September, the 'Race for Freedom.'  You can find more information and register for the race, HERE. Early bird pricing is still available until Friday! I'd love for as many of you to join me, not for me, but for the great organizations involved to hopefully educate people more about child trafficking. I'm getting pretty excited about the run, and can't wait to lace up my shoes and get out there with my fellow runners!

Sorry to those who have been waiting to hear from me and any updates on my health and fitness. There's probably not many (if any), but for those who are, I apologize.  Thanks again to all those who continue to give me words of encouragement, it really means so much to me, more than you know.  Again, please share this with anyone you think would enjoy, comment, criticize, laugh, cry, puke!  Whatever floats your boat!  Have a wonderful 4th of July everyone, I leave you with this classic, by Ray Charles.

No comments:

Post a Comment