Thursday, March 7, 2013

For now, it's the elliptical machine....

I've had so many things running through my head since the day I made that Facebook post back in January.  Good things, bad, things. Encouraging thoughts and not-so encouraging thoughts.  I'm tired. Tired of looking in the mirror every day and seeing what I see. I'm proud of WHO I am, and what I've accomplished in life. I'm proud to be a husband, father, son, brother, uncle, grandson, Christian, and of course, Mexican! What I'm not proud of, is being obese.  and WAY obese at that.  I'm not just a 20-30 pound overweight person, I'm a 50 pound + obese person.  It sucks.  The worst part of the whole thing is that I have no one but myself to blame.  It took me 28 years to do this damage to my body.  Now, I want to get rid of it all overnight!  If only it was that easy, right?  I'm trying to make a life change, not just a weight change. By far, the H.A.R.D.E.S.T!!!!! THING I'VE EVER HAD TO DO!

Since the end of January, I started working out at the YMCA about 3 or 4 times a week.  My first day back, I ran a half mile without stopping! The next day, my body reminded me what excess weight does to your body.  My shins hurt something fierce, and I could barely walk. Maybe I overdid it.  I was happy that I ran a half mile, but I would really like to walk after.  My shin-splits came back immediately, and there was not-so-encouraging thing #1....  Over the next week, I couldn't run more than 2 laps without my shins killing me, to the point where I thought my legs might break. Again, more bad news.  I tried new shoes, ace bandages, ice and heat after workouts, nothing worked.  The last thing I wanted to do was break my leg and put me out for even longer.  I remember a friend of mine from Colorado told me he did a lot of elliptical workouts starting out.  He also, was a big boy, but since has lost a TON of weight (great job Bryson, you're one of my inspirations to do this, BTW)! I started the elliptical since and have been doing that. It has been going pretty well, but I watch the timer too much!  I cover it, and try not to look at it, but as soon as I get my first peek, i'm ready to be done.  I'm such a weak-minded person, when it comes to working out.  I don't want to be, I really don't. Hopefully, I'll get used to it.  So, for now, it's the elliptical machine.

 That's it for now, I could write for days, I feel.  I'll post some more back stuff later today, I don't wanna bore anyone who decides to read this right off the bat!

                                                                                                                           Joel

1 comment:

  1. Do what I do on my treadmill, cover the screen with your tablet and watch some Netflix, Hulu, hbogo our something to pass the time've will fly by I promise. Good luck on your journey man. Keep your head up and don't get discouraged. You are a strong willed person.

    ReplyDelete