Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I want to walk my daughter Izabel down the isle...

So I had something just about done, ready to post today, and I deleted it all! Weird, just didn't feel right.  I talked about my overall progress so far (I've lost 12 pounds!), thanked everyone for checking this blog out, I've had over 250 views.  That's amazing to me, but seriously, thanks to EVERYONE who has stopped to read and/or comment. It truly means a lot.  I looked over it, and decided I would go in a different direction. This post gets a little personal again, like I mentioned earlier, I want you all to know me, and my motivation to be healthy and lose weight.

Someone recently asked me what I wanted to accomplish by losing weight. Was I not happy the way I was? Why do I have to be fit, why can't I just be happy the way I am, the 'way God made you?'  There's a lot of answers there, but I gave the same response I would give anyone.  There's a TON I want to accomplish (we'll get to that in a bit).  I am happy with WHO I am, but not with WHAT I am, overweight and unhealthy.  I don't have to be fit, no one does. But it is a choice that I am making, for myself, first and foremost, and also for my loved ones.  The next part made me think for a bit.  This person was right, God did make me, He made me in His image (Genesis 1:27).  But my personal opinion is that God did not create us to be fat and lazy people who have no desire to better themselves physically, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally.

My feeling is that I have not been living my life to its fullest potential.  Instead, I got into a 'comfort zone' which included laziness, being a boring person.  The worst and most frightening part of this to me, is that I was bringing my family right in with me to this horrible place.  They're supposed to look to ME for leadership and comfort, and I was taking them ALL to the path of an early grave.  I wanted to cry on Monday evening watching my 3 year old son, Armando, kicking the ball around at soccer practice.  I was so thankful that I was able to be out on the field with him, kicking the ball, and sharing in his joy.  Now, I would have been able to that whether I lost 12 pounds or not this last week, but it served as such a motivator to me, thinking about 5,10,15 years from now, (hopefully) watching him on his senior night in whatever sport or activity he participates in.  I want to be there!! I want to walk my daughter Izabel down the isle and give her hand to the man that God ( and to a lesser degree, me. HA!) has picked for her to spend her life with.  I want to retire, move to the farm, and grow old with Amber. I want to see grand babies, and be that 'grumpy old man' that tells kids to get of the grass, or turn that music down! I know now that I'm taking those steps to get there, it's a long road ahead, but I have no one but myself to blame.  I'm beyond that now, no time to be mad at myself for what I've done. It's time to move forward and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!! Here's a few other things I want to do, and feel I can and will do with less weight and a healthier lifestyle:

  • Get on a boat and be able to fish in peace, instead of feeling like it's going to flip over with any sudden move I make
  • Fit better in a theater, arena, auditorium seat, and be able to not look like I'm stuck and need the jaws of life to get me out!
  • Play with my little brother OJ in his basketball league and show I still have some skill in my game
  • Run a 5k before the year is out
  • I want to go to the gym and recognize and be recognized by random people and have 'gym talk' about workouts and getting 'ripped,' lol.
  • Not get looked at by kids like a 'brown Shrek.' 
  • I want the tattoo on my shoulder of a wooden cross to splinter from how buff I get! (Remember that, Lorena?)
  • Participate in events and activities with my family, where weight is not going to come up as to whether or not I will be allowed to partake.
  • Go swimming or walk around my house with my shirt off and not feel like a total slob, but with pride in what I have (hopefully) accomplished.
So much more I had in mind, but now can't think of them, but trust me, there are A LOT!!  I really, REALLY want to thank everyone for checking this blog out and leaving comments, and encouragement for me. It fuels me, knowing that I have so many great friends and family who want to see me do well.  I know you don't have to click the link and read, but you do. That means more to me than you'll know. Like I've always said, feel free to comment, share, criticize, and/or judge me. I'm game for whatever!  Finally, I've got Louisville over New Mexico and Kansas over Indiana, with Kansas winning the national title! Rock Chalk!

                                                                                                                                  JOEL

No comments:

Post a Comment